Background

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers' out there who take the time to read this blog. This morning I woke up to all the kids in bed with us trying to give me their card first. Last night as the kids were going to bed, I jokingly told them that I wanted breakfast in bed in the morning. I was specific too - I wanted eggs, pancakes, bacon, orange juice and coffee! I guess I was feeling hungry as I told them. Anyway, as I was opening their cards, Whiz Kid handed me a piece of paper that he said he had worked on in bed last night. I opened it to find a drawing of my breakfast just as I had described - I now had my breakfast in bed! Yep, he's my very literal child - got to love him!!!

I thought I would share with you the card I made for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. Here I used the new Sophia papers and used the technique I taught at my April workshop to make the flower soft and velvety. This is such a fun and easy technique. It works well on scrapbook layouts but is perfect for handmade cards because you can touch and feel the end result without it getting hidden under your page protector like it would in on a layout.

To create the effect you need:




  • Fun Flock

  • a small ziplock bag

  • Reinker - the color of your choice (I used hollyhock)

  • Spray Pen

  • water

Fill your Spray Pen with water up to the 4th line and add 20+ drops of reinker to the water. The more reinker the darker the color. Shake well. Pour the desired amount of Fun Flock into your ziplock bag and spray several sprays of the reinker mixture into the bag. Close up and massage with your fingers to mix the color through-out the fun flock. If you want a darker color, spray a few extra sprays of your reinker mixture and massage again until mixed thoroughly. When you have reached the desired color, pour the flock onto a paper plate and let dry. If there are any large clumps, use a knife or piercing tool to break them up. Let completely dry. Once dry, stamp or cut out an image and use your glue pen to draw glue where you want the flock. Rub with your fingers the flock over the image and shake off the excess. Let dry. This technique gives such a nice velvety look and feel to your flowers, clouds, animals, etc. You can do this technique over and over again and changing only the color to fit your design. An easy and inexpensive technique to add a little punch to your projects.

Here's the technique used on my Sophia Workshop on the Go layout for April. It's hard to see in the pictures but I hope you can see it.

Here's the 2nd layout we created at the layout. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment and share your thoughts of my blog.